Friday, April 24, 2009

Pick your poison



So, apparently Diet Soda, and even regular soda is bad for your health. I wish someone close to me would have clued me into that before I spent the last 5-7 years pouring it down my throat at an unseemly rate. If only my loving wife or concerned mother or someone close to me would have let me know about the potential health risks perhaps I would have changed my ways sooner.

Well, no one truly responsible for the problem ever wants to take the blame, so I will have to be the martyr and say that perhaps my addition to soda is my own fault. There were some small tell-tale signs. The salivating at the Dr. Pepper commercials. The headaches when I hadn't had a huge soda by 11:00 in the morning. And the dreading of fast Sunday, not because I couldn't eat, but because I couldn't drink my soda.
In doing some reseach on health problems with diet soda I found that it causes most people to drink it to gain weight, not because calorie content, but because it messes up the PH balance of your body making you too acidic. I did a search on foods to balance me out to bring me back to being more alkaline and I found that lemons are the #1 alkaline food. (go figure since it's incredibly acidic when you eat it.) This search for balance lead me to find the Lemon Cleanse Diet. Or Master cleanse diet, or many other things.

So, to make a long story short I have decided to undergo this tortuous cleanse for 10 days as I break my caffeine addition. I'm doing this for 2 reasons.

1.) because if I'm going to make myself miserable by breaking away from caffeine I might as well go all the way and cleanse my body out at the same time.

2.) It will make for a great blog entry as I log in my experience every day.

2 comments:

MKL said...

It's bizarre that I stumbled across this clicking on the 'next blog' button on the head bar thing, because I'm also a lifelong soda addict whose really, really tired of the habit.
Good luck man, and keep us posted.

A Farmer's Wife said...

Hi Andrew and Amy, I found your blog and cannot resist commenting on this Master Cleanse Diet...I read about Day 0 and the instructions for the Sea Salt thing and the recipe for the lemonade...I don't see any instructions regarding what you can eat during the 10 days...do you eat any food during these 10 days??? I admire you! I hope it goes well. I'm completely addicted to Diet Coke with Lime and I might have to give this a whirl.

OH - while I'm commenting...CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BABY!!!
Xela